News:Union Ministry of Home Affairs in collaboration with UN Women has launched an awareness campaign to end violence against women.
About the campaign:
- The campaign is part of the #OrangeTheWorld global campaign which is being observed ahead of ‘International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women’ marked annually on 25 November.
- As part of the campaign,people would be made aware about India’s single emergency helpline 112.
- It is an internationally recognised emergency number used in several countries.Currently,the 112 services are available in 27 States/Union Territories of India.
- The emergency helpline 112 was launched as part of the Emergency Response Support System(ERSS).
- The Emergency Response Support System(ERSS) is one of the key projects of the Union Ministry of Home Affairs under Nirbhaya Fund.
- The system has been designed to play a pivotal role in mitigation or preventing escalation of crime, especially against women and children.
- ERSS envisages a single pan-India emergency number ‘112’, which is an internationally recognised number to target all types of emergencies.
- The features of ERSS includes (a)computer aided dispatch of field resources to the location of distress and (b)Citizens can send their emergency information through call, sms through the 112 mobile app.
About UN Women:
- UN Women is the United Nations entity dedicated to gender equality and the empowerment of women.
- It was established in July 2010 by the United Nations General Assembly to accelerate the progress on meeting women needs worldwide.
Objectives of UN Women:
- To support inter-governmental bodies, such as the Commission on the Status of Women, in their formulation of policies, global standards and norms.
- To help Member States to implement these standards, standing ready to provide suitable technical and financial support to those countries that request it, and to forge effective partnerships with civil society.
- To hold the UN system accountable for its own commitments on gender equality, including regular monitoring of system-wide progress.