- Parliament has passed the Presidential order which effectively abrogates the special status accorded to Jammu and Kashmir under the provision of Article 370.
- It has also passed the Jammu and Kashmir (Reorganisation) Act,2019. The bill bifurcates the State into two separate union territories of Jammu and Kashmir(with legislature) and Ladakh (without legislature).
- The Union territory of Jammu and Kashmir will have a lieutenant governor and a 107-member assembly which will be enhanced to 114 after a delimitation exercise.But the 24 seats of the assembly will continue to remain vacant as the seats fall under Pakistan-occupied Kashmir(PoK).
- The 5th Schedule of the J&K Reorganisation Act lists a total of 106 central laws that will be applicable to the union territories of J&K and Ladakh.As many as 153 laws of the state of J&K were also repealed alongside.
- However,the government is examining whether several central legislations may have to be amended separately to remove the exception made for J&K or can the same be done for all laws under a single umbrella legislation.
2 min read