- During the 36th Foundation Day celebrations of Centre for Development of Telematics (C-DOT),the government has said that it is committed to providing Wi-Fi in all the villages through GramNet.
- GramNet is a part of National Broadband Mission to secure universal broadband access.It aims at connecting all key rural development institutions with speed of 10 Mbps upgradeable upto 100 Mbps.
- C-DOT has also launched three innovations during Foundation Day Celebrations which are (1)C-Sat-Fi (C-DOT Satellite WiFi) (2)XGS PON (10 G Symmetrical Passive Optical Network) and (3)C-DOT’s Interoperable Set Top Box (CiSTB).
- C-Sat-Fi is based on the optimal utilization of wireless and satellite communication to extend connectivity to the remote islands and difficult terrains.
- XGSPON is an effective solution to fulfil the rapidly increasing demands of high network speeds for applications like IPTV, HD Video Streaming, Online Gaming and other cloud based services.
- CiSTB is based on a portable smart card like a mobile SIM, this solution will revolutionize the experience of the Cable TV operators by offering them a high degree of choice, ease and convenience without having to replace the once installed set up box(STB).
- C-DOT was established in 1984 as an autonomous Telecom R&D centre of DoT,Govt. of India.It is a registered society under the Societies Registration Act,1860.
- It is also registered public funded research institution with the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research(DSIR),Ministry of Science &Technology,Government of India.
2 min read