- Yemen’s Houthi movement has started withdrawing forces from Saleef port in Hodeidah under a UN-sponsored deal.
- Both the Houthis and the government forces agreed to withdraw from Hudaydah port to allow in vital humanitarian aid.Hudaydah port is the principal lifeline for two-thirds of Yemen’s population.Its closure has had a devastating impact on the Yemen.
- Under the deal brokered by the UN in December,2018 both factions had agreed to withdraw from Hudaydah city and the ports of Hudaydah,Salif and Ras Issa.
- The Yemeni Civil War is an ongoing conflict that began in 2015.It is the tussle between two factions claiming to constitute the Yemeni government.
- One is Yemen’s Shia Houthi rebels, loyal to the former President.They are in clashes with forces loyal to the current government.The Houthi forces has captured huge swathes of territory significantly the Yemen capital Sana’a.
- Saudi Arabia led military intervention in Yemen had began over 3 years ago.A coalition led by Saudi Arabia launched military operations by using airstrikes. This is to restore the Yemeni government which is overthrown by Houthi.The Saudi-led coalition is backed by the U.S.
7 min read