News:Karnataka chief Minister has approved the Hubballi-Ankola railway line project despite opposition by several members of the State Board of Wildlife.
- The railway line passes through the dense forests between two major protected areas — Kali Tiger Reserve and Bedthi Conservation Reserve which are part of Western Ghats.
About Kali Tiger Reserve:
- It is located in Karnataka.It comprises two important protected areas of the region namely Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary and Anshi National Park.
- Vegetation:Moist deciduous and semi-evergreen with excellent patches of evergreen forests.
- Habitat: Bengal tigers(Endangered), Indian elephants (Endangered) among others.
About State Boards for Wildlife
- It has been constituted under the Wildlife Protection Act, 1972.It is headed by the Chief Minister with the State Forest Minister as the Vice Chair.