- India has decided to send its first batch of women officers as defence attaches to overseas missions.The government has asked the three Services to identify women officers who are qualified to take up these assignments.These officers are expected to be posted to missions in America and Europe.
- A defence attaché(DA) is a member of the armed forces who serves in an embassy as a representative of his/her country’s defence establishment abroad and in this capacity enjoys diplomatic status and immunity.
- The decision to induct women officers into the coveted foreign postings was taken earlier this year.It was observed that though women had occupied many distinguished positions as ambassadors,diplomats and even foreign secretaries in the past,but there were not many women found among defence attaches.
- Earlier this month,defence ministry had announced women could get permanent commission in 10 branches of the Indian Army which are (a)Signals (b)Engineers (c)Army Aviation (d)Army Air Defence, (d)Electronics and Mechanical Engineers (e)Army Service Corps(f)Army Ordinance Corps and (g)Intelligence.Further,government had earlier approved the the same for Air Force whose all branches including fighter pilots are open for women officers.
- A Permanent Commission means a career in the Army till you retire.For Permanent Commission,you have to join (a)National Defence Academy, Pune or (b)Indian Military Academy,Dehradun or (c)Officers Training Academy,Gaya.
2 min read