News:India has asked the UN Security Council to reform the UN peacekeeping by adopting reforms based on incentivisation, innovation and institutionalisation.
United Nations Peacekeeping:
- United Nations Peacekeeping was created in 1948.United Nations Peacekeeping helps countries torn by conflict create conditions for lasting peace.
- It maintains three basic principles which are (a)Consent of the parties (b) impartiality and non-use of Force except in self-defence and (c)defence of the mandate.
- The UN Peacekeepers are led by the Department of Peacekeeping Operations(DKPO).
- UN Peacekeepers are often referred to as Blue Berets or Blue Helmets.
- The Peacekeeping forces are contributed by the United Nations(UN) member states on a voluntary basis.
- India,Pakistan and Bangladesh are among the largest individual contributors.African nations also contributes nearly half the peacekeeping force.
About United Nations Security Council(UNSC):
- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) is one of the six principal organs of the United Nations.
- The Security Council consists of fifteen members. Russia, the United Kingdom,France,China and the United States serve as the body’s five permanent members.
- The Security Council also has 10 non-permanent members elected on a regional basis to serve two-year term.