- India has been elected to the Executive Board of the first UN-Habitat Assembly.
- This had happened at the Plenary Session of the UN Habitat Assembly in Nairobi, Kenya.The special theme for the UN-Habitat Assembly is “Innovation for Better Quality of Life in Cities and Communities”.
- The United Nations Human Settlements Programme(UN-Habitat) is the United Nations agency for human settlements and sustainable urban development.It was established in 1978.
- UN-Habitat is headquartered at Nairobi,Kenya.The twin goals of the Habitat Agenda are (a)adequate shelter for all and (b)development of sustainable human settlements in an urbanizing world.
- UN Habitat reports directly to the UN General Assembly.It is also a member of the United Nations Development Group(UNDP).
6 min read