- Air Chief Marshal has led the ‘missing man’ formation in a MiG-21 aircraft to pay tributes to Air force personnel who were killed in action during Operation Safed Sagar at Kargil.
- Operation Safed Sagar was the code name assigned to the Indian Air Force’s role in acting jointly with Ground troops during the Kargil war.
- The operation was aimed at flushing out Regular and Irregular troops of the Pakistani Army from vacated Indian Positions in the Kargil sector along the Line of Control.
- It was the first large scale use of airpower in the Jammu and Kashmir region since the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971.
- The missing man formation is an aerial salute accorded to honour the fallen comrades-in-arms.It is an arrow formation with a gap between two aircraft in the formation depicting the missing man.
- On 28 May 1999,four IAF personnel had laid down their lives while flying a mission during Operation Safed Sagar.
6 min read