- India have demanded consular access and urged the US to release Indian students detained in connection with their enrolment in a fraudulent university and not to deport them against their will.
- The fake university was set up by the ICE department as part of their sting operation to bring to light the “pay-and-stay” racket.
- The U.S. says that all participants in this scheme knew that the University had no instructors or classes.
- The Indian government said that the students could have been tricked into enrolling and should be treated differently to any recruiters who may have duped them.
- In the United States, foreign students are granted what are called “F” and “M” visas to study .F-1 visas for full-time students while M-1 visas for vocational or non-academic studies.
- The Immigration and customs enforcement(ICE) is a law enforcement agency of the federal government of the US tasked to enforce the immigration laws of the United States.
2 min read