News: The Global Innovation Index(GII),2020 has been released.
- GII: It is an annual ranking that quantifies the state of national innovation ecosystem across countries.In 2020, it has ranked 131 countries.
- Published by: The index has been released jointly by the World Intellectual Property Organization(WIPO), Cornell University and INSEAD Business School.
- Metrics: The metrics include institutions, human capital and research, infrastructure, market sophistication and business sophistication, knowledge and technology outputs and creative outputs.
- Theme for 2020: Who Will Finance Innovation?
- Switzerland has topped the index followed by Sweden, US, UK and Netherlands.
- India has joined the group of top 50 countries in the global innovation index for the first time moving up four places to the 48th rank.
- India remained the most innovative country in Central and Southern Asia and is also the third most innovative lower middle-income economy in the world.