News: India has sent a technical response team to Mauritius to help in efforts to contain a massive oil spill as part of Indian Prime Minister’s vision of SAGAR (Security and Growth for All in the Region).
- SAGAR: It is a term coined by Indian Prime minister in 2015 which gives priority to Indian Ocean region for ensuring peace, stability and prosperity of India in Indian Ocean region.
- Goals: The goal is to seek
- A climate of trust and transparency
- Respect for international maritime rules and norms by all countries
- Sensitivity to each other`s interests
- Peaceful resolution of maritime issues
- Increase in maritime cooperation.
- Mission Sagar: It was launched by the Government of India to provide medical assistance teams and essential food items related to Covid-19 to five Island nations in the Indian Ocean namely Maldives, Mauritius, Seychelles, Madagascar and Comoros.
- Indian Ocean Commission(IOC): It is an intergovernmental organization that was created in 1982 at Port Louis,Mauritius and institutionalized in 1984 by the Victoria Agreement in Seychelles.
- Member States: Comoros, Madagascar, Mauritius, Réunion (an overseas region of France) and Seychelles.
- Observer States: China, India, Japan, Malta, European Union, the Organisation internationale de la Francophonie and the United Nations.