- India has handed over 250 pre-fabricated houses to Myanmar.These houses were built for the displaced Rohingya returnees from Bangladesh.
- The Indian government had taken up the project under its Rakhine State Development Programme(RSDP) under which $25 million was allocated for a period of five years.
- The MoU on RSDP was signed between India and Myanmar in December 2017.It aims to contribute to the socio-economic development of the area.
- The programme includes creation of infrastructure in the areas of education, health,agriculture and allied activities,agro-processing, community development sectors and related training in these areas.
- Further,India’s support to Rohingyas comes even as India supports Bangladesh under Operation Insaniyat to deal with the massive influx of refugees.
- Rohingya is an ethnic group largely comprising Muslims who predominantly live in the Western Myanmar province of Rakhine.In Myanmar,they are they are classified as “resident foreigners” or as “associate citizens”
- Lakhs of Rohingyas have fled to neighbouring countries like Bangladesh and India after facing religious and ethnical persecution in Myanmar.
2 min read