Skip to content
- India has called for fast-tracking the process of readmitting Maldives into the Commonwealth.
- Maldives had left the Commonwealth in 2016 at the height of political turmoil in the country.However,the situation in Maldives changed in 2018 when a new president came to power.
- Commonwealth of Nations is an international intergovernmental organization of countries that were mostly former territories of the British Empire and dependencies.
- Commonwealth was established by the London Declaration in 1949. Queen Elizabeth II is the head of the Commonwealth.
- The current membership includes 53 Countries.The membership is based on free and equal voluntary cooperation.
- The member states of the commonwealth are not legally liable or bound to each other.They are rather united by language,history,culture,likeness of democracy,human rights and the rule of law.