Skip to content
- Indian scientists from Tata Institute of Fundamental Research(TIFR) have developed a new material called “Black gold”.
- This material was developed using gold nanoparticles.This material can potentially be used for applications ranging from solar energy harvesting to desalinating seawater.
- The new material has unique properties such as capacity to absorb light and carbon dioxide(CO2).Gold does not have these properties.
- Black gold has the ability to absorb the entire visible and near-infrared region of solar light.It does so because of inter-particle plasmonic coupling as well as heterogeneity in nanoparticle size.
- Black gold could also act as a catalyst and could convert CO2 into methane at atmospheric pressure and temperature using solar energy.
- The material can also be used as a nano-heater to convert seawater into potable water with good efficiency.