News: Oxfam has released a report titled “Commitment to Reducing Inequality (CRI) Index,2020”.
- About the index: The index ranks 158 countries measuring their policies and actions in three areas that it said are proven to be directly related to reducing inequality:
- Public services(health, education and social protection)
- Taxation and
- Workers rights.
- Topped by: The index has been topped by Norway followed by Denmark and Germany.
- India: It has been ranked 129 overall in the index.
- Public Services: In terms of its public services such as health, education and social protection,India has been ranked 141.
- Taxation: In terms of taxation, India has been ranked 19th in the index.
- Workers Rights: India has fared poorly in protecting labour rights and has slipped to rank 151.
- Other Facts Related to India:
- India has spent just 4% of its budget on health going into the pandemic — fourth lowest in the world.
- Only half of India’s population have access to even the most essential health services while over 70% of health spending is being met by people themselves.
- Most workers earn less than half of the minimum wage.Further, only around 10% of the workforce in India is formal with safe working conditions and social security.