News: The Ministry of Human Resource and Development has awarded the status of Institute of Eminence to five public institutions
- Institutions awarded with status of Institute of Eminence:
- Delhi University,
- Benares Hindu University
- University of Hyderabad
About Institution of Eminence (IoE) Scheme
- First announced in 2016 Budget speech, the Institution of Eminence scheme is a scheme of Ministry of Human Resource Development pertaining to higher education institutions (HES) in India
- Aim: To develop 20 world-class teaching and research institutions
- To bring higher educational institutions selected as IoEs in top 500 of world ranking in the next 10 years and in top 100 eventually overtime
- To provide world class teaching and research facilities to Indian students within the country and enhance general level of education.
- To pay special attention to teaching and research in unique and emerging areas of knowledge
- Regulatory framework: It has been provided through
- UGC (Declaration of Government Institutions as Institutions of Eminence) Guidelines, 2017 for public Institutions and
- UGC (Institutions of Eminence Deemed to be Universities) Regulations, 2017 for private Institutions.
Key Benefits of Institutions of Eminence
- Government Institutions to get additional funding up to 1000 Cr.
- Complete academic, administrative and financial autonomy
- Exemption from government approvals for academic collaborations with foreign HES (in top 500)
- Freedom to hire personnel from industry as faculty, and recruit faculty from outside India (25% limit of its faculty strength)
- Freedom to have own transparent merit based system for admission of students.
- Will not be subjected to UGC Inspections
Current Status of scheme: Earlier 6 institutions were selected as IoEs:
- Public Category
- Indian Institute of Sciencee (IISc), Bangalore
- IIT Delhi
- IIT Mumbai
- Private Category
- Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE), Manipal
- Birla Institute of Technology& Sciences (BITS), Pilani
- Jio Institute under the Greenfield category.