News: Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions has announced that a Centralised Technology Vertical (CTV) will be set up within CBI
Centralised Technology Vertical (CTV):
- The propose CTV will be operational by 2020. It will help real-time information sharing with investigators across India.
About Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI):
- It is the premier investigating police agency in India. It functions under Dept. of Personnel, Ministry of Personnel, Pension & Public Grievances.
- CBI owes its origin to the Special Police Establishment, constituted by the British government in 1941 which was substituted by the Delhi Special Police Establishment (DSPE) Act, 1946.
- It is an executive body formed in 1963 through a Government of India resolution. The establishment of the CBI was recommended by the Santhanam Committee on Prevention of Corruption (1962-64)
- CBI’s investigative and jurisdiction powers are governed by the DSPE Act, 1946.
- Investigating cases of corruption and fraud committed by public servants of all Central Govt. Departments, Central Public Sector Undertakings and Central Financial Institutions.
- Investigating economic crimes, including bank frauds, financial frauds, Import Export & Foreign Exchange violations, large-scale smuggling of narcotics, antiques, cybercrime etc.
- Investigating special Crimes, such as cases of terrorism, bomb blasts, sensational homicides, etc.
- Coordinating the activities of the anti-corruption agencies and the various state police forces.
- Taking up, on the request of a state government, any case of public importance for investigation.
- Act as Interpol of India and functions as an interface between the law enforcement agencies of India and other countries to ensure cooperation.
- Maintaining crime statistics and disseminating criminal information