News:The 22nd edition of India international seafood show(IISS) will be held in Kochi,Kerala from 7 to 9 February 2020.
About the Seafood Show:
- It is a biennial show which is organised once every two years.
- It is organized by the Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA) in association with the Seafood Exporters Association of India (SEAI).
- Theme:Blue Revolution- Beyond Production to Value Addition.
- It was established in 1972 through the Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA) Act 1972 under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- It is the nodal agency for the holistic development of the seafood industry in India.
- Seafood Exporters Association of India (SEAI) was established in 1973 as an organisation registered under the Registrar of Companies Act, 1956.
- It aims to protect and promote the interests of the seafood industry and develop the international trade of seafood from India.
Fish Production in India:
- India is currently the second largest producer of fisheries.It is also world number two in aquaculture production as well as in inland capture fisheries.
- In 2017-18, Andhra Pradesh topped the Indian States in Inland fisheries followed by West Bengal.Gujarat was ranked number one in marine fisheries.
- The contribution of fisheries to the Gross Domestic Product is about 1% and about 5.37% to the Agricultural GDP.