News:The Government of India has launched a special theme-based focused campaign from 1st-7th March in the run up to the International Women’s Day on 8th March,2020.
- The seven themes that are being observed by the Government of India include Education, Health and nutrition, Empowerment of women, Skills & entrepreneurship, Participation in sports, Rural women agriculture and Urban women.
About International Women’s Day:
- International Women’s Day is celebrated every year on 8th March since 1911.
- It aims to celebrate the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women.It also marks a call to action for accelerating gender parity.
- The theme for 2020 is #EachforEqual- An equal world is an enabled world.
About Beijing Declaration:
- The Beijing Declaration was a resolution adopted by the United Nations(UN) at the end of the Fourth World Conference on Women on 15 September 1995.
- The resolution is an agenda for women’s empowerment and considered the key global policy document on gender equality.
- It sets strategic objectives for the advancement of women and gender equality in 12 critical areas of concern like women and health, women in power and decision-making, the girl-child, women and the environment.