News: The President has announced a few initiatives for gender advancement and equality in academic and research institutions on the National Science Day celebrations.
About Vigyan Jyoti Scheme:
- Nodal ministry:Ministry of Science & Technology(DST).
- Coverage:The programme covers girl students from grade 9 to 12.
- Aim:To create a level-playing field for the meritorious girls in high school to pursue Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics(STEM) in their higher education and become self reliant.
- It also offers exposure for girl students coming from rural backgrounds to help understand how to plan their journey from school to college and thereafter from research to a job of their choice in the field of science.
- It also has a financial dimension as girls will be given a modest financial incentive to cover their additional expenses like travel to camps.
- GATI Stands for Gender Advancement for Transforming Institutions (GATI).
- Aim:To develop a comprehensive Charter and a framework for assessing Gender Equality in STEM.
- It will assess the progress made by participating institutions in gender advancement based on well-defined parameters.
- Further,an online portal will also be created to provide information on government schemes, scholarships, fellowships among others.