News:The Maharashtra Government has officially stopped the Jalyukt Shivar Abhiyan due to substandard work being carried out under the mission.
About Jalyukt Shivar Abhiyan:
- Launched in 2014 by the Maharashtra Government.
- Aim:To make 5,000 villages drought free by the year 2019.
- The scheme targets drought-prone areas by improving water conservation measures in order to make them more water sustainable.
- Under the scheme, decentralised water bodies are being installed at various locations within villages to enhance the groundwater recharge.
- It also proposes to strengthen and rejuvenate water storage capacity and percolation of tanks and other sources of storage.