News:Cabinet has approved inclusion of 5,300 Displaced Persons(DP) families of Jammu & Kashmir in the Rehabilitation Package announced in 2016 for Displaced Families of Pakistan-occupied Jammu and Kashmir(PoJK) and Chhamb.
- In the aftermath of partition of the Indian subcontinent in 1947, thousands of families from Pakistan occupied areas of Jammu & Kashmir (PoJK) migrated to the Indian state.
- Subsequently, during Indo-Pak Wars of 1965 and 1971, a large number of families were displaced from Chhamb Niabat area of J&K.
- Hence, the Government have extended series of relief and rehabilitation packages to mitigate the hardship of displaced persons from PoJK and Chhamb and to rehabilitate them.
About rehabilitation package:
- As per the package, 5.5 lakh rupees cash benefit per family will be disbursed to the displaced families.
- This financial aid will enable them to earn an income and subsist their livelihood.
- This will also upgrade the Government’s capacity to respond effectively to such DP families need of financial assistance.