- Jammu and Kashmir government has launched an ambitious initiative to reach out to the people at the grassroots level through a programme named as ‘Back to the Village’.
- The programme is primarily aimed at energizing the panchayats and directing development efforts in rural areas through community participation and to create in the rural masses an earnest desire for a decent standard of living.
- The programme has four main goals (a)energising panchayats, (b)collecting feedback on the delivery of government schemes and programmes (c)capturing specific economic potential and (d)undertaking assessment of needs of villages.
- The programme will involve the people of the state and government officials in a joint effort to deliver the mission of equitable development across all our rural areas.
- As part of the programme,each gazetted officer will be assigned a gram panchayat where he/she will stay for at least two days including a night halt in the village to interact and obtain feedback from the panchayat representatives,elders and other local people about their concerns, developmental needs and economic potential of the area.
- The feedback obtained will help the government in needs assessment and subsequently to tailor the various central and state government schemes/programmes in improving delivery of village-specific services and making the village life better in terms improved amenities and economic upliftment.
7 min read