- The US President has said the US military was ready to retaliate against Iran but he called off the strike after being told 150 people would die.
- This statement came after Iran’s air force had shot down a US drone after the unmanned aircraft violated Iranian airspace.
- However,US military officials have said that the drone was in international airspace over the Strait of Hormuz at the time.
- The shooting down of the drone was followed accusations by the US that Iran had attacked two oil tankers outside the Strait of Hormuz in the Gulf of Oman.
- The tensions between the two countries had started after Iran had stopped complying with some commitments in the 2015 nuclear deal after the United States unilaterally withdrew from the accord in 2018 and renewed sanctions on Iran.
- Iran Nuclear deal which is known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) was announced in 2015.
- The deal was signed between Iran and the P5+1 group (US,UK, France, Russia, China and Germany).It restricts Iran’s nuclear programme in return for lifting most economic sanctions against it.
6 min read