News:The Culture Department of Uttar Pradesh government is going to organise the country’s first training and performance programme of world famous KHON Ramlila in collaboration with Thailand government.
About Khon Ramlila:
- Khon Ramlila is a masked form of Ramlila art of Thailand that depicts the scenes of Ramlila.
- It has no dialogues.Only the background voices narrates the whole story of Ramayana.
- It is also known worldwide for its beautiful attire and golden masks.
- Further,the Ramakien which means Glory of Rama is national epic of Thailand has been derived from the Hindu epic Ramayana.
- It is also included in the list of Intangible cultural heritage list of UNESCO.
About Intangible cultural heritage list of UNESCO:
- UNESCO’s Lists of Intangible Cultural Heritage is a list of important intangible cultural heritages worldwide.It aims at better protection of these intangible cultural heritages and raise awareness about their significance.
- Intangible Cultural Heritage means the practices, representations, expressions, as well as the instruments,artefacts and cultural spaces that communities,groups or individuals recognize as part of their cultural heritage.
- The list was established in 2008 when the 2003 Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage came into effect.
- A total of 13 Intangible cultural heritage elements from India have been inscribed till date on the UNESCO’s Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.