- India will appeal at International court of justice(ICJ),UN’s top court to order Pakistan to take an alleged Indian spy off death row.
- Kulbhushan Jadhav, an Indian national was convicted of conducting ‘subversive activities’ for the Indian government in Pakistan and has been sentenced to death by a Pakistani military court.However, India have denied all these charges and said that he was abducted from Iran.
- India approached ICJ on the grounds that Pakistan had breached Vienna Convention on Consular Relations, by refusing consular access to Kulbhushan Jadhav and India got a stay order preventing Pakistan from executing former naval officer.
- The Vienna Convention of 1961 is an international treaty that defines a framework for diplomatic relations between independent countries. Article 36 of this treaty states that foreign nationals who are arrested should have the right to inform about their arrest at its consulate.
- The International Court of Justice was established in 1945 at Hague,Netherlands.It is composed of 15 judges elected to nine-year terms of office by the United Nations General Assembly and the Security Council.Its objective is to settle legal disputes submitted to it by (a)states (b) duly authorized international branches and (c) UN General Assembly.
2 min read