News:India’s first voluntary liver transplant registry has been started by the Liver Transplantation Society of India.
About liver transplant registry:
- The liver transplant registry aims to collate national data of the procedures and their outcomes.
- The registry has been established as nearly 2,000 liver transplants are carried out in the country annually.But there is no India-specific data.
- On the other hand,in Western countries it is mandatory to report all transplants and the outcomes.
About the Transplantation of Human Organs Act, 1994
- The Transplantation of Human Organs Act, 1994 was enacted by the Parliament in 1994.
- The main purpose of the Act is to regulate the removal, storage, and transplantation of human organs for therapeutic purposes and to prevent commercial dealings in human organs.
About Liver Transplant Society of India:
- The Liver Transplant Society of India (LTSI) has been established with the primary objective of facilitating the growth of liver transplantation and allied fields in India.