News:India and 50 African countries have adopted the Lucknow Declaration at the first India – Africa Defence Minister’s Conclave.
About Lucknow Declaration:
- Peace and Security:The countries have committed to continue their collaboration in the fields of peace and security including conflict prevention, resolution, management and peacebuilding.
- Terrorism:It condemned the growing threat of terrorism and acknowledge that it constitutes a major threat to peace and security in the region.
- Maritime security:It acknowledged the African Union(AU) vision for peace and security in Africa that coincides with India’s vision of Security and Growth for all in the Region(SAGAR).
- Defence:It recalled India’s contribution to defence and security in Africa through setting up of various Defence Academies in African countries.
- AFINDEX:It also appreciated the initiation of Africa India Field Training Exercises and agreed to further strengthen cooperation in defence preparedness and security.The first-ever AFINDEX was held in March 2019.
About African Union:
- The African Union(AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent.
- It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity.It is headquartered in Addis Ababa,Ethiopia.
- The objective of union is to achieve greater unity and solidarity between and defend the sovereignty, territorial integrity and independence of its Member States.
- The African Union’s theme for 2020 is “Silence The Guns: Creating conducive conditions for African Development”.