News:The Chinese Government has issued warnings against import of cattle from India after India submitted lumpy skin disease virus in cattle to the World Organization of Animal Health(OIE).
About Lumpy Skin disease:
- Lumpy Skin disease is an infectious disease in cattle that reduces milk production, causes infertility, poor growth and chronic debility.
- The disease is caused by the virus Poxviridae. The virus is also called the Neethling virus.
- The disease causes permanent damage to the skin of the animals and hence has great economic implications.
- The World Organisation for Animal Health(OIE) is an intergovernmental organisation responsible for improving animal health worldwide.
- It was created by the International Agreement of 25 January 1924 signed by 28 countries.In 2018,the OIE consists of 182 Member Countries and Territories.
- The OIE’s financial resources are derived principally from regular annual contributions backed up by voluntary contributions from Member Countries.
- It is also recognised as a reference organisation by the World Trade Organization(WTO).