News:Union minister for Health and Family Welfare has organized National Symposium on United to Eliminate Lymphatic Filariasis.
About Lymphatic Filariasis:
- Lymphatic filariasis is commonly known as elephantiasis.It is a neglected tropical disease.
- There are three different filarial species that can cause lymphatic filariasis in humans.
- Most of infections worldwide are caused by Wuchereria bancrofti.In Asia, the disease can also be caused by Brugia malayi and Brugia timori.
- The infection spreads from person to person by mosquito bites.The infection is usually acquired in childhood causing hidden damage to the lymphatic system.
- The disease does not kill the affected people but may cause permanent disfigurement, reduced productivity and social stigma.
- The disease affects the poorest population in society, particularly those living in areas with poor water, sanitation and hygiene.
Measures taken by India:
- Indian Government has announced the use of Triple Drug therapy in a phased manner.
- Triple drug therapy was recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO).It involves a combination of ivermectin, diethylcarbamazine citrate and albendazole.
- India adopted the twin pillar strategy after WHO launched the Global Program to Eliminate Lymphatic Filariasis(GPELF)
- Indian Government has also launched the Accelerate Plan for Elimination of Lymphatic Filariasis(APELF) in 2018.