News:Union Minister of Food Processing Industries, launched the– Market Intelligence and Early Warning System (MIEWS) Web Portal.
About the Portal:
- The portal will provide real time monitoring of prices of tomato, onion and potato (TOP) and simultaneously generate alerts for intervention under the terms of the Operation Greens(OG) scheme.
- It would also disseminate all relevant information related to TOP crops such as Prices and Arrivals, Area, Yield and Production, Imports and Exports among others.
About Operation Greens:
- Operation Green was announced by the Union government in the Budget 2018-2019 with an outlay of Rs.500 crores.
- The immediate aim of the scheme is to contain the annual price distress of tomatoes, onions and potatoes (TOP) in regions with high production.
- It also aspires to increase the income of the farmers as in line with an ambition of doubling the farmer’s income by 2022.
- These goals are to be achieved through interventions by encouraging farmer producers’ organisations, agri-logistics, processing facilities and professional management.