News:The Ministry of Coal has decided to establish a ‘Sustainable Development Cell’.
About Sustainable development Cell:
- The Sustainable development cell aims to promote environmentally sustainable coal mining in the country and address environmental concerns during the decommissioning or closure of mines.
- The cell will advise and monitor the mitigation measures taken by the coal companies for maximising the utilisation of available resources in a sustainable way.
- It also aims to minimise the adverse impact of mining and mitigating it for further ecosystem services and will act as nodal point at Ministry of Coal level in this matter.
- Thus,the Cell envisages to address the environment mitigation measures in a systematic manner and to provide a better environment to people working and residing in the vicinity of Mines.
Functions of the Cell:The Cell will adopt a systemic approach, starting from collection of data, analysis of data, presentation of information planning based on information by executing the following tasks in a planned way:
- Land amelioration and afforestation
- Air quality, emission and noise management
- Mine water management
- Sustainable Overburden Management
- Sustainable Mine Tourism
- Planning and Monitoring
- Policy, Research, Education, and Dissemination.