News:Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment has informed Lok Sabha about the Pradhan Mantri Adarsh Gram Yojana(PMAGY).
About Pradhan Mantri Adarsh Gram Yojana(PMAGY):
- Pradhan Mantri Adarsh Gram Yojana (PMAGY) is a rural development programme launched by the Central government in India in 2009–10.
- Aim:The programme aims at integrated development of villages having population of Scheduled Castes persons of more than 50%.
- The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment of Government of India is the nodal agency responsible for implementation of the programme.
Features of the programme:
- The vision of the programme is to develop a Model village which has adequate physical and institutional infrastructure in which minimum needs of all sections of the society are fully met and they live in harmony with each other.
- The programme also aims to ensure that the disparity between SC and non-SC population in terms of common socio-economic indicators is eliminated and the indicators are raised to at least the level of the national average.
- The performance of the scheme is being monitored in terms of achievement of the targets listed out in the Village Development Plan (VDP) prepared for each village.
- The National Institute of Rural Development & Panchayati Raj (NIRD&PR) has been identified to provide technical resource support at the national level.
- In 2018,the Scheme was extensively revised to bring focus on important and critical monitorable socio-economic indicators under 10 domains namely (1) drinking Water & Sanitation (2) Education (3) Health & Nutrition, (4) Social Security (5) Rural Road and housing (6) Electricity and clean fuel (7) Agricultural practices (8) Financial inclusion (9) Digitization and (10) Livelihood and Skill Development.
- The National Institute of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj (NIRD&PR) is an autonomous organisation under the Union Ministry of Rural Development.
- It is a premier national centre of excellence in rural development and Panchayati Raj.