- According to the phase-wise data released by the Election Commission, women voters have outnumbered men in several States and Union Territories.
- In nine States,there was a higher women turnout.The highest of 52.13% was recorded in Meghalaya where there was a jump of almost 2.5% in the overall participation(71.32%) compared with the 2014 election.
- Further,higher women turnout was also noted in states such as Manipur, Chhattisgarh, Mizoram, Odisha, Lakshadweep, Andhra Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
- The Election Commission of India is an autonomous constitutional authority responsible for administering election processes in India.The Election Commission operates under the authority of the Constitution under Article 324 and subsequently enacted Representation of the People Act,1951.
- The EC administers elections to the (a)Lok Sabha (b)Rajya Sabha (c)state Legislative Assemblies (d)state legislative Councils and the (e)offices of the President and Vice President of the country
6 min read