- The Indian and Myanmar armies conducted a coordinated operation against insurgents in Myanmar territory.This operation was carried out to avert a possible threat to the Kaladan transit and transport project.
- The action was taken against the Myanmar insurgent group,Arakan Army and the National Socialist Council of Nagalim (NSCN),Khaplang group.NSCN(K) is a North-East insurgent group known for attacks against the Indian Army and situated in Myanmar.
- The Kaladan multi-modal transit transport project is viewed as India’s gateway to the Southeast Asia.India entered into a framework agreement with Myanmar in April 2008 to facilitate implementation of the project.
- The Kaladan Multi-Modal Transit Transport Project will connect India’s eastern seaport of Kolkata with its landlocked northeastern state of Mizoram by traversing Arakan and Chin States in Myanmar through the newly constructed river and highway transport system.
- This project will reduce the distance from Kolkata to Sittwe by approximately 1328 km and will reduce the need to transport good through the narrow Siliguri corridor,also known as Chicken’s Neck.
- It is also expected to open up sea routes and promote economic development in the North-eastern states and also add value to the economic, commercial and strategic ties between India and Myanmar.
2 min read