News: Ministry of Human Resources Development has launched launched the kartavya.ugc.ac.in portal on the occasion of ‘Constitution Day’. It is a part of Nagrik Kartavya Paalan Abhiyan.
About Nagrik Kartavya Paalan Abhiyan
- Nagrik Kartavya Palan Abhiyan will run from 26th November 2019 to 26th November 2020.
- It seeks to create mass awareness about the Fundamental Duties as enshrined in The Indian Constitution.
About Constitution Day
- Constitution Day or Samvidhan Divas is celebrated in India on November 26 every year. The day commemorates the adoption of the Constitution of India on 26th November 1949.
- The Indian Government declared 26 November as Constitution Day by a gazette notification in 2015. Earlier, 26th November was celebrated as National Law Day.
- 2019 marks the 70th year of the adoption of the Indian Constitution.
- Aim of the Day:
o To publicize the glorious and rich composite culture and diversity of our nation.
o To create awareness of Fundamental Duties as enshrined in the Indian Constitution
- By the 42nd Constitutional Amendment Act, in 1976, Fundamental Duties were incorporated in Part IV-A of the Indian Constitution. They were incorporated on the basis of recommendations of the Swaran Singh Committee (1976)
- The Fundamental duties are mentioned in Article 51A of the Indian Constitution. At present, there are 11 fundamental Duties.
- The Fundamental Duties are confined to citizens only and do not extend to foreigners.
- The fundamental duties are non-justiciable. The Constitution does not provide for their direct enforcement by the courts. Moreover, there is no legal sanction against their violation.