- The government has decided to prepare a National Population Register (NPR) by September 2020.The exercise is different from the Census 2021 and is not linked to the National Register of Citizens (NRC).
- The objective of the NPR is to create a comprehensive identity database of every usual resident in the country.The database would contain demographic as well as biometric particulars.
- For the purpose of NPR,a usual resident is defined as a person who has resided in a local area for six months or more or a person who intends to reside in that area for the next six months or more.
- Additional features of NPR are family linkage where a person is identified with the household enumerated and geo-tagging or record of the place of residence
- The exercise was conducted earlier in two phases in 2010 and 2015. Further,it is mandatory for every usual resident of India to register in the NPR.
2 min read