- Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) has set up the Space Situational Awareness Control Centre in Bengaluru.
- The control centre would host a range of activities related to the protection of Indian space assets from (a)inactive satellites (b)pieces of orbiting objects (c)near earth asteroids and (d)adverse space weather conditions.
- It would also assimilate the tracking data of inactive satellites from indigenous observation facilities and generates useful information from bare observations through analysis.
- Space Situational Awareness & Management(SSAM) has become an internationally significant area due to the rise of man made space debris and the increased collision threat with operational spacecraft.
- Space debris are artificial material that is orbiting Earth but is no longer functional.They consists of dead satellites, spent rocket motors, nuts and bolts etc.Space debris is a threat to active satellites and spaceships as they pose risk of collisions.
1 min read