News:Minister of State (I/C) for Youth Affairs and Sports has informed Lok Sabha about the National Programme for Youth and Adolescent Development Scheme.
About the scheme:
- The National Programme for Youth Adolescent Development (NPYAD) is a Central Sector scheme under the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports.
- It was formulated during 10th five year plan in 2006-07 by merging four central sector grants-in-aid schemes.
- The scheme aims at providing opportunity for holistic development of youth including adolescents for realisation of their fullest potential.
- The scheme is one of the sub schemes under the Rashtriya Yuva Sashaktikaran Karyakram Scheme.
- The Youth and Adolescents for the purpose of the scheme would be as defined in the National Youth Policy.
- In other words,the expression ‘youth’ would cover persons belonging to the age group of 15 to 29 years and ‘adolescent’ would cover persons in the age group of 10-19 years under the scheme.
Objectives of the scheme:
- Develop leadership qualities and personality development of youth and to channelise their energy towards socio-economic development and growth of the nation;
- Promote national integration, strengthen secular and eclectic outlook through creative expressions by youth;
- Foster the spirit of adventure, risk taking, teamwork, the capacity of ready and vital response to challenging situations and of endurance among youth among others.
About Rashtriya Yuva Sashaktikaran Karyakram:
- The Rashtriya Yuva Sashaktikaran Karyakram Scheme is an ongoing Central Sector Scheme of the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports and has been continuing since 12th Five Year Plan.
- The scheme aims to develop the personality and leadership qualities of the youth and to engage them in nation building activities.
Sub-schemes under Rashtriya Yuva Sashaktikaran Karyakram:
- Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS);
- National Youth Corps (NYC);
- National Programme for Youth & Adolescent Development (NPYAD);
- International Cooperation;
- Youth Hostels (YH);
- Assistance to Scouting & Guiding Organizations;
- National Discipline Scheme (NDS); and
- National Young Leaders Programme (NYLP).