News:Recently,Light Combat Aircraft(LCA) Tejas has successfully landed on INS Vikramaditya.With this,the LCA becomes the first aircraft to make an arrested landing on a naval ship.
About LCA Tejas:
- LCA Tejas has been built under the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) program, which began in the 1980s to replace India’s aging MiG-21 fighters.
- It is designed by the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) and developed by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).
- It is a single-seat, single-jet engine, multi-role light fighter.Its design is highly manoeuvrable with a tailless, compound delta wing configuration.
- It has stronger landing gears which can absorb forces exerted by the ski jump ramp during take-off.It also has the capability to be airborne within 200m, as against 1000 m required for normal runways.
About INS Vikramaditya:
- INS Vikramaditya is a modified Kiev-class aircraft carrier.It served with the Soviet Navy and later with the Russian Navy.
- It was commissioned into the Indian Navy in 2013 from Russia.
- The aircraft carrier is 284mts long.It has a displacement of 40,000 tons and is the biggest and heaviest in the Indian Navy fleet.
- The warship can also carry planes such as MiG-29K,Kamov-31 and Chetak helicopters.