- The Indian Navy will participate in the International Fleet Review (IFR) that is scheduled to take place on April 21,2019 in Qingdao,China as part of 70th Anniversary celebrations of People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLA Navy).The Indian Navy would be represented in the IFR by INS Kolkata and INS Shakti.
- International Fleet Review (IFR) is a parade of naval ships,aircraft and submarines.It is organized by nations to promote goodwill,strengthen cooperation and showcase their organizational capabilities.
- IFR also serves as an ideal platform for the world’s navies to showcase their prowess and indigenous ship designing and shipbuilding capabilities in a global/international arena.
- INS Kolkata is an indigenously built stealth guided missile destroyer equipped with state-of-the-art weapons and sensors to address threats in all dimensions of naval warfare.INS Shakti is a fleet support ship.
- INS Shakti is one of the largest tankers displacing over 27,000 tonnes and capable of carrying 15,000 tonnes of liquid cargo and over 500 tonnes of solid cargo including victuals and ammunition.
- The Indian Navy had also held an International Fleet Review in February 2016 in which 50 navies of different countries took part with nearly 100 warships.
2 min read