- India and France will hold their largest ever naval exercise called ‘Varuna’.The exercise will take place at Goa from 1 May 2019.
- The exercise is expected to involve aircraft carriers,destroyer ships, submarines and fighter planes which will make it a mega event to happen in the history of the relationship between the two nations.
- The two countries will be deploying their aircraft carriers with India deploying its INS Vikramaditya and Mig-29K.On the other hand,France will be deploying its Charles de gaulle and Rafale-M naval fighter jet.
- The two countries have also operationalized their reciprocal military logistics support agreement,which saw French anti-aircraft destroyer FNS Cassard docking at the Mumbai naval port in January.
- Under the agreement,Indian warships can access French bases like the Reunion Islands near Madagascar and Djibouti on the Horn of Africa in the Indian Ocean.
1 min read