- Union Home Minister will chair the two-day Plenary meeting of the North Eastern Council (NEC) at Guwahati,Assam.
- The meeting will be co-chaired by Union Minister for Development of North-Eastern Region and will be attended by the Governors and Chief Ministers of all the eight States of the North Eastern region.
- North Eastern Council (NEC) was constituted as a statutory advisory body under the NEC Act,1971 and came into being on the 7th November,1972 at Shillong.
- The eight States of Northeast India are members of the council with their respective Chief Ministers and Governors representing them.Sikkim was added to the council in the year 2002.
- The headquarters of the council is situated in Shillong and functions under the Ministry of Home Affairs of the Government of India.
- The Council was initially set up as an advisory body but now sanctioned as a Regional planning body since 2002.They now discuss any matter in which the North Eastern States have a common interest and decide the action to be taken on any such matter.
- This was done so as to take care of the economic and social planning of these states as well as to provide mediation in the event of inter-State disputes.
8 min read