- India and the U.S has said that both countries will resolve their differences through talks which had led to deadlock on trade issues.
- The two countries had discussion of a host of bilateral and global issues such as (a)purchase of S-400 defence system (b)trade irritants (c)Gulf situation (d)Iran crisis (e)counter-terror partnership and (f)India’s proposed laws on e-commerce and data localisation.
- However,the U.S. decision to withdraw India’s Generalized System of Preferences(GSP) status did not come up for discussion.
- On the S-400 missile defence system deal with Russia,India has made it clear to the US that India will give priority to its national interests and honour many bilateral relationships such as its strong defence ties with Russia.
- Indian government has also called for predictability in the global oil market amid US-Iran tensions and sought to differ on US policy on Iran where US has described Iran as a state sponsor of terror.
- Further,US and India has agreed to increase efforts to combat militant activity in the region after deadly suicide bomb blasts in Sri Lanka.
6 min read