News: Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change has released draft EIA notification.
- It proposes an update to Environment Impact Assessment (EIA) notification of 2006
- The current EIA specifies a “minimum of 30 days” for people to respond. The draft EIA notification gives a “minimum of 20 days” of notice period.
- It also requires that the public-hearing process be wrapped up in 40 days, as opposed to the existing norm of 45 days.
- EIA is a process which studies all aspects of the environment and seeks to anticipate the impact (positive and/or negative) of a proposed project or development on the environment.
- EIA is mandatory under the Environmental (Protection) Act, 1986 for 29 categories of developmental activities involving investments of Rs. 50 crores and above.
- to identify, predict and evaluate the economic, environmental and social impact of development activities
- to provide information on the environmental consequences for decision making and
- to promote environmentally sound and sustainable development through the identification of appropriate alternatives and mitigation measures.