News:BBC has convened a Trusted News Summit bringing together senior figures from major global technology firms and publishing to help tackle the problem of Fake News.
About Trusted News Summit:
The summit agreed to work collectively on various initiatives such as:
- Early warning system:creating a system so that organisations can alert each other rapidly when they discover disinformation that threatens human life or disrupts democracy during elections.
- Media education: a joint online media education campaign to support and promote media education messages.
- Voter information: co-operation on civic information around elections, so there is a common way to explain how and where to vote.
- Shared learning:particularly around high-profile elections.
- Fake news is the deliberate creation of factually incorrect content to mislead people for some gain.
- Fake news is becoming an increasingly serious problem.It is viewed as a serious threat to the democratic process.