News:The National Informatics Centre(NIC) will set up block chain technology centre in Bengaluru.
About the Blockchain centre:
- The Centre aims to provide BlockChain as a service to all the stakeholders who are interested in shared experiences, learning and resources.
- It will also share its block chain-based proof of concepts with selected government entities.
- The centre will also act to help different wings of the government understand the potential of the technology.
- Blockchain is a digital, immutable, distributed ledger that chronologically records transactions in near real time.
- In simple words,it is interlinked and continuously expanding list of records stored securely across a number of interconnected systems.
About National Informatics Centre(NIC):
- The National Informatics Centre (NIC) is an institute set up by the Indian government in 1976 to drive its technology and e-governance initiatives in the country.
- The institute is part of the Indian Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology’s Department.
- The centre has been a premier technology advisor be it the introduction of ICT in Government, establishment of NICNET or National Knowledge Network(NKN).
About National Knowledge Network:
- It was established in 2010.Its objective is to interconnect all institutions of higher learning and research with a high-speed data communication network to facilitate knowledge sharing and collaborative research.
- National Informatics Centre (NIC), under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, is the implementing agency.