- President of India has approved extension of the term of the Commission to examine the issue of Sub-categorization of Other Backward Classes in the Central List till July 31st,2019.
- Other Backward Class(OBC) is a collective term used by the Government of India to classify castes which are socially and educationally disadvantaged.
- The commission was appointed in 2017 to examine the extent of inequitable distribution of benefits of reservation among various castes and communities that come under the Central OBC list
- The committee also has to work out the mechanism, criteria and parameters for the actual sub-categorization within such OBCs.
- The commission will also take up the exercise of identifying the respective castes and communities in the Central List of OBCs and classifying them into their respective sub-categories.
- The Supreme Court in its order in Indra Sawhney had observed that there is no constitutional or legal bar to state categorising backward classes as backward or more backward.
- At present,27% quota in government jobs and educational institutions is given to OBCs,provided the annual income of the family is up to Rs 8 lakh.Those with higher earnings are referred to as the ‘creamy layer’ and are not eligible for reservation.
- Creamy layer is a term used to refer to the relatively wealthier and better educated members of the Other Backward Classes (OBCs).They are not eligible for government sponsored educational and professional benefit programs.
6 min read