- Geographical Indication Registry of India has accorded Geographical Indication(GI) tag to Odisha’s rasgulla.Odisha Rasgulla is associated with famous Puri Jagannath Temple.
- This GI tag to Odisha comes amid a years long debate between West Bengal and Odisha over where the Rasgulla had originated.In November 2017,West Bengal was granted the GI tag for Rasgulla.
- The GI tag for West Bengal and Odisha Rasagullas recognise two distinct versions of the sweet.
- A geographical indication(GI) is a sign used on products that have a specific geographical origin and possess qualities or a reputation that are due to that origin.GI tags are given on the basis of the Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act,1999.
- GI tag secures the quality and authenticity of a product to a particular geographical origin.It provides legal protection from duplication.The first product to get GI tag was Darjeeling Tea.
1 min read